The following provides information on the Twitter link on the St. John's Home Page.
- What is Twitter? - Twitter is a social networking system where St. John's issues periodic messages of up to 140 characters (including spaces & punctuation) that will appear when ever anyone clicks on the Twitter link on the St. John's home page. All of the messages will appear with the latest at the top unless an old one has been deleted. You do not need to sign up on Twitter at this point, just Click on the Twitter link.
- Twitter Page - On the Twitter page that is connected to the you will see the following:
- At the top is "Hey there! StJohnsEpisCh is using Twitter. Twitter is a free service that lets you keep in touch with people through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing? Join today to start receiving StJohnsEpisCh's tweets." Note - You do not have to Join to get St. John's Tweets (Twitter messages). You can see the St. John's Tweets at any time by clicking on the Twitter link on the St. John's Home Page.
- List of Tweets - Under that message is the list of St. John's Tweets with the most recent at the top in big print. Each Tweet has under it when it was posted.
- Info on St. John's - In the Right Panel is some info on St. John's including Name, Location, Web site link and Bio (brief description).
- Other items in the Right Panel are:
- Following - This is the number of other Twitter accounts that the Twitter Administrator is following, i.e., receiving all their Tweets. These do not show on the Twitter page linked to the St. John's Home Page. Currently the administrator is following one other Twitter account: Iamepiscopalian (the Twitter account of the National Episcopal Church). Click on the "following" link to see the specific accounts he is following with a brief description or click on the graphics under "Following" below. Note: Folks can add themselves to your "following" list and have their Tweets appear on your Home page, but you can block any ones you want. In additon, an organization has the ability to only allow members to view the organization's Tweets. For an example click on the Norup Hawk under "Following". (My lovely daughter is the IB coordinator of this school.)
- Followers - The number of Twitter accounts following the St. John's Tweets, i.e., receiving copies of the St. John's Tweets as they are broadcast, is currently 14. Clicking on "followers" will show this list, including "Iamepiscopalian". When these accounts access their Twitter Home page they will see all their own Tweets in chronlogiical order with the Tweets of all the Twitter accounts they are following.
- Joining Twitter - If you choose to join Twitter then you can:
- Set up your own Twitter account and Tweet whatever you want.
- Follow the St. John's Twitter account, i.e., have all the Tweets appear on your Twitter Home page along with your Tweets and all the other Twitter accounts you choose to Follow.