o Introduction to Narrative Budget for 2010 - as of Oct. 15, 2009
o Pastoral Care/Fellowship
Our call in this church is an invitation to ministry. As a congregation we have come together and identified our foucus in this journey through our Mutual Ministry Goals. This budget uses language, not numbers, to reflect these priorities.
The staff members funded by the budget are:
- Full-time Rector - The Rev. Linda Northcraft
- Coordinator for Finance and Education, Mary Adams, 30 hours/week
- Parish Administrative Assistant, Lillian Melville, 20 hours/week
- Music Director, Rob Styberski, 10 hours/week
- Kitchen Manager, Linda Pagel, 8 hours/weekk
- Sextons: Days-Eddie deNavarre, 18 hours/week; Nights-Tamra Zakar, 15 hours/week
- Children's Choir Director, Cheri Whalen, Sundays only
Each staff member has allocated their hours among the five ministry areas. As you review this budget, please prayerfully consider the gifts God has given you and what you are called to do with those gifts.
"How can we keep from singing?"
Worship - 31% of the Budget, $134,068:
"worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness" - Psalm 29:2
- Two Sunday Morning Holy Eucharists
- Music Program -
- Healing Service - Healing service on Thursday at 11 am in the Chapel.
- Circle of the Spirit - Contemplative Prayer - group meets on Tuesday at 6 pm in the library.
- Holy Day Celebrations.
- Intergenerational Events - i.e., Coming to church dressed as your favorite Saint on Nov. 1, 2009.
Pastoral Care/Fellowship - 21% of the Budget, $90,820:
"Come to me, all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." - Matthew 011:28
- Hospital Visitations - Visits to members in the hospital or other facility by the clergy and lay persons. This will be enhanced by the development of the Stephen's Ministry.
- Eucharistic Visitors - Echaristic ministers trained to take Holy Communion to the home bound or in a hospital or other residential facility.
- Counseling - counseling by the clergy for marriage or a range of other issues. Sometimes parishioners are referred to outside professionals.
- Newcomer Welcoming - Greeters at the 10:15 am service and periodic meetings with new members of St. John's or those interested in becoming members. This is an activity of the Wecoming Committee.
- Special Blessings - A range of Special Blessings for birthdays, anniversaries, new births and adoptions, etc.
- Stephen Ministry - Special organization and training for parishioners to take on part of the task of visiting the sick, homebound, and those living in various facilities. Tim Spannaus and Maggie Blanchard will be off to Oregon in January for training to start a Stephen's Ministry at St. John's.
- Support Groups.
Education - 12% of the Budget, $51,897:
"Teach them to your children and your children's children." - Deuteronomy 4:9
- Adult Education:
- Sunday Morning Forum - Discussions of books, films and guests on variouis topics at 9:15 am in the library. See the Home page for latest topics.
- Bible Study - Held Monday night at 7:30 pm in the library. See the Home page for lastest topics.
- Inquirer's Class - Held on the Sundays in January at 9:15 am in the library. Covers Episcopal Church history, organization, beliefs, liturgy, etc.
- Lenten Program - Wed. evenings during Lent we have a soup and salad supper and then have a guest lecturer on a topic relevant to Lent. In 2009 it was representatives from other faiths.
- Literary Group - Either at the regular Monday night Adult Ed or at other times we will meet to discuss a book.
- Movie Night - Eithr at the regular Monday night Adult Ed or at other times we will meet to view and discuss a movie. In 2008 did "The Bucket List".
Ouitreach/Advocacy - 24% of the Budget, $90,820:
"What dows the Lord Require...do justice, love kindness..." - Micah 6:8
- Building Use - used day and evening by 23 Community and Diocesan groups, six days/week - See Event Calendar.
- Staff support - for Open Hands Food Pantry and New To You Resale Shop.
- Sextons - support Building Use.
- Diocesan Pledge - pledge of 10% of the St. John's budget supports the Diocese of Michigan's operations.
- AIDS Ministry - Provides local aid and support to regional AIDS groups.
- Green Ministry - Provides advice and access to energy saving and ecological information and tools. Provides sales of Free Trade coffee and chocolate.
- Episcopal Peace Fellowship - supports local peace activities at St. John's and in the community.
- Souith Oakland Shelter (SOS) - St. John's hosts the homeless persons attached to this shelter for one week a year.
- Complete list of Outreach/Advocacy at Outreach Reports.
Communication - 12% of the Budget, $51,897:
"...so we who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually we are members of another." - Romans 12:5
- News & Views - the monthly newsletter of St. John's.
- Website - All New and Improved.
- Social Networking Sites - Currently Facebook and Twitter.
- Event Flyers - i.e., Mom2Mom Sale.
- Emails and Letters.
- Annual Parish Report - given out at the Parish Annual meeting in late January.
- Parish Directory - With pictures in 2008.
The Record and Episcopal Life - diocesan Newspaper and natonal Episcopal news, printed. The Record also has an email Monday update, signup for this free Record update. The Episcopal Life is also online.
- Sunday Bulletin Announcements.