St. John’s Episcopal Church Royal Oak is a faith community of about 500 parishioners who come from all over the metropolitan Detroit area. We are diverse by age, ethnicity, marital status, sexual orientation, education and economic status. We are a welcoming and affirming parish.
We represent all socio-economic and demographic groups. Our youngest is just months old and our oldest are in their 90's! We are Caucasian, African-American, East Indian, Latino and Asian. We are straight lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgendered. We are married, single, partnered, divorced, separated, and widowed. We are healthy and we have physical and mental disabilities. Economically we range from Social Security-dependent to what might be termed very comfortable. Some of us never finished high school, and some have Ph.D’s or MD’s. We are white collar, blue collar, student, retired, and self-employed.
We are conveniently located a mile north of I-696 at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and Eleven Mile Road, we come from Oakland, Wayne (including Detroit), Macomb and Livingston counties.
Since 1984 we have been honored as a Jubilee Ministry Center, a designation from the national church that recognizes our outstanding outreach ministries to the larger community.
In short, we are a community of faith that celebrates its diversity as we strive to live into our Baptismal Covenant and Mission Statement.
See what our members have to say about why they love our St. John's community!
- The diversity, warmth and joy of the people. - Richard L (Lay Preacher)
- I like St. John's because I feel loved here. - Barbara M (legal counselor)
- The outreach programs and caring friendly people. - Cathy D (active ministry volunteer)
- I like the people, children's programs and community involvement. - Anne H (parent of two teenagers)
- I love St. John's because it's like a caring, loving family. - Katy F (teenager)
- It's a warm comfortable home away from home. - Nancy and Dave H (she's second generation)
- It's a warm, welcoming church - a family of friends. - Dorothy D (Altar Guild member)
- I like the open-heartedness and open-mindedness of St. John's. - Martha S (choir member)
- I love the warm, active and very supportive members & staff. - John T (Resale Shop volunteer)