Easily recognizable as the big A-frame church with the red doors on the southeast corner of Woodward and 11 Mile, St. John’s is actually comprised of the original church built in 1926 and the addition completed in 1958. In 1993, with the addition of the elevator, which stops at all floors of the building, and the two handicap ramps in the front of the building, St. John’s became essentially barrier-free. Although the red doors that open to Woodward Avenue are open on Sundays, most people prefer to enter the building through the entrance at the parking lot. The parking lot is between 11 Mile and Hendrie. There are vehicle entrances on both streets.
St. John's Church is composed of the following spaces:
o Resurrection Garden
o Bride's Garden
o New To You Resale Shop
o Choir Room
o Cry Room
Third Floor - Church School Classrooms
Basement Level One
o Open Hands Food Pantry
o Mon Ami Day Care & Nursery School
Basement Level 2 (B2)
o Jatho Hall
Main Level - Though there are some small level changes with stairs, the following are on the main level and accessible by stairs and elevator.
- Sanctuary - The main sanctuary is cruciform in shape, with a raised round altar area at the crossing. The congregation can be seated in the nave or in the east transept. The choir seating is at the front of the sanctuary, behind the altar. The pipe organ is behind the choir, facing directly into the nave. A large cross is suspended above the altar. Coffee hour is in the West Transept
- Chapel - A small chapel adjoins the east transept of the sanctuary and is used for services such as the 11 am Thursday healing service and prayer vigils. It has its own organ and looks out on Resurrection Garden. This space requires a couple of steps up or down.
- Resurrection Garden - Adjacent to the chapel is an inner garden, Resurrection Garden, where the cremains of parishioners and family members are buried. Parishioners may purchase space by contacting the church office.
- Brides' Garden - Between The choir room and the sanctuary building is a restful, plant-filled courtyard called the "Brides' Garden." This space requires several steps up or down.
- Office - The offices of the rector, the deacons, the coordinator of finance & education, and the administrative assistant.
- New To You Resale Shop - The New to You Resale Shop, a resale clothing shop, staffed and managed by St. John’s, is located in what was the “old” sanctuary.
- Choir Room - The choir room is directly across from the parish offices.
- Library - In 2003 the library was completely renovated. Many parish meetings take place there, the Monday evening adult education and Bible study meet there, and it is a quiet place to just sit and relax.
- Cry Room - The cry room is used by parents with young children as they find it necessary. A soundproof window overlooks the east transept and altar, and the room is equipped with prayer books, hymnals and speakers so that parents can follow along with the service.
Third Floor - Church School Classrooms - Classrooms for the children and youth Christian education programs are on the third floor. These rooms are also used by many community groups, especially 12-step programs, throughout the week.
Basement Level One (B1):
- Nursery - The nursery, for infants and toddlers, is on the lower level and is staffed from 9:30 AM through the end of the second morning service.
- Open Hands Food Pantry - Our Open Hands Food Pantry consists of serveral storage rooms off an open space in which the clients wait to be serviced.
- Mon Ami Day Care & Nursery School - The Mon Ami Day Care & Nursery School occupies the south end of the lower level and has its own entrance and play ground.
Basement Level Two (B2): (Assessible by stairs or elevator.)
- Kitchen - The kitchen is a full commercial kitchen approved by the Health Dept. with ovens, dishwasher, refrigerators, dishes, storage, etc.
- Jatho Hall - A room that consists of two main areas: one is 60x80 feet and the second 40x80 feet. They can be separated by a folding screen.