Note: Adult Education Interest Survey Online
The Adult Education Committee wants to learn about the kinds of adult Christian education offerings in which you are interested. Please fill out the Adult Christian Ed Interest Survey either Online or using a Hardcopy (PDF file) you can print off the Web. If you use the hardcopy, fill it out and mail it to St. John's or hand it to Linda Northcraft, Jennifer Bruns or Rosemary Spatafora. Thank you for your participation.
Adult Education: Varied educational opportunities for adults on Sunday mornings and Monday evenings. St. John’s has a history of presenting stimulating adult education programs. These take place from 9:15-10:00 am on Sunday mornings, between the two services, and on Monday evenings. These programs are taught by clergy, parishioners, and invited guests. Some of the programs we have had include Acts of the Apostles, Child Bullying, contemporary literature, Celtic Christianity, Images of God in Art, Spirituality and Healing, Autism, Prayer and Spiritual Development, and a study of Brahms’ Requiem. We have also had “field trips” to the Detroit Institute of Arts led by a parishioner who is a member of the Bureau of Speakers there. Linda Northcraft also teaches a thematic Bible study that is not only educational but also leads to some fascinating and often fun discussions. You will always find something of interest in these informative offerings! (for more information contact Rosemary Spatafora). The Adult Education programs include the following:
o Adult Inquirer's Class
o Advent Bible Study
o Sunday Adult Education
o Monday Night Literary Group
o More info on Adult Ed
- Adult Inquirer’s Class: Do you want to know more about the Episcopal Church? Do you want to be confirmed or received by the Bishop into the Episcopal faith? If the answer is “yes” to either of these questions, this class is designed just for you. Conveniently taught on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am in the library, everyone is invited to attend. This is an easy class with no reading assignments and no tests. The following topics will be discussed on these dates:
- Sunday Adult Ed - Advent Bible Studies: The Advent Bible Study will be on "A Light Will Shine" and led by the rector, Rev. Linda Northcraft. It will start on Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010, at 9:15 am in the Library and continue on Dec. 5, 12 and 19. The reading assignments are in the St. John's Service Bulletin and online as follows:
- Sunday Adult Ed: In November 2010 the Sunday adult ed will consist of a diversity of programs including:
- Discussion with the delegates to the recent Diocesan Convention.
- Andy Lawfield discussing his military experiences in Afganistan and the Middle East.
- Start of the Advent Bible Study on "A Light Will Shine" led by the rector.
- In October, 2010, we had a series on Child Bullying.
- Literary Group Monday Night: Monday evening in November 2010 is focusinig on Phyllis Tickle's book "The Great Emergence: How Christanity is changing and why". The discussion is being led by Dan Martin, the Senior Warden of St. John's.
- For more information contact on these programs - contact The Rev. Linda Northcraft, 248-546-1255.